24 October, 2006

Plans, jobs and cars

On Monday I had my second group of students. They've been having some classes with a Spanish teacher but she left the agency because she had a full time job in a school. So in theory they knew some English and they were not completely beginers. The owner of the agency I'm working with assured me that they knew some grammar at least.

HA!!

Nope. None. Nothing.

So there I was with a group of 9 adults with no English whatsoever and with 2 hours to fill. My worst nightmare (related to this particular job).

So I started by asking them loads of questions, what kind of job they do (mostly administrative) what does the company do (TNT, transport goods), what do they want to learn (how to calm some angry costumers on the phone long enough to be able to transfer the problem to the person who actually does speak English).
And on we went. When there's no knowledge to start with the options are unlimited. I started by teaching them greetings and excuses. We'll go from there.

The 2 hours disappeared quickly enough but at the end I realised that I had sweated like a pig. It was stressful but I think it was to be expected for the first time and that it'll get better. The guys are friendly and chatty enough and that does made a difference.
I have 2 more hours tomorrow with them.

All in all I took 10 hours a week with this language agency. The owner keep on asking me to take at least 6 hours more but I don't have a car yet and to commute using public transport takes ages and it's just not worth it right now. Ten hours a week would give me more or less the same amount that I was earning in Filton so money wise that's ok for now, plus it gives me time to search for a more permanent kind of job.

I feel a bit more settled now.

As my luck has it, it just happens that this weekend there's a second hand car fair here at Sabadell, so we'll try and buy the car there and then.
We disagree in the kind of car that we'd like to have. "The husband" like a medium size sporty mean-looking machine, probably French. I'd rather have a cute pink tiny girly car, such as a Smart or the new beetle. The smart only seat two and we're 2, so, that rules it out until and unless we have 2 cars. P, my son, used his veto vote for any car with just 2 doors, he said it's too uncomfortable to go in and out them, so that rules out the new beetle.

So we've been checking cars, comparing them and even reading the motor section of the newspaper lately but still no agreement.

I'd be interesting to go to the fair and see what do they actually have there and how much do they cost. I'll let you know.

Today was my free day, no classes, so I spent it looking for jobs, sending my CV and doing the laudry and some shoping for the week. Nice and quiet.

No comments: