11 October, 2006

My shortest trip ever

Well. I'm back.
I flew on Monday and I was back on Wednesday. No time to see anyone. No time to buy stuff even. (there's no The Gap here and I'm increasingly desperate for jeans).

I stayed with a friend who lives just opposite to my old house. I had a peek to see the house and it looks revamped and the walls are now magnolia!! 'nough said. It's always sad to see a former house. Or this is just me again?

On Tuesday I waited because I thought the "the husband" told me that the bank was going to deliver it at noon. Luckily. at 2pm. I sent him a text with the phone and he THEN told me that I was suppose to go to our local branch in Gloucester Rd to collect it. Off I went and when I arrived there the cashier told me that yes, they did got a fax telling them that I was going to go and get some euros, but, no, they didn't have enough.
I started to sweat. Heavily.
Trying to keep my cool I explained to them that the bank web page said that if I told them that I wanted to withdraw money from my account in whatever currency, they will have it ready in 24 hours. That was news for the girls at the counter and even for the under-aged-looking manager and all they could say was sorry over and over. So, and realising that we're going nowhere there, I asked what were my options and they send me to the branch at the triangle in Clifton because they did have a foreign currency stand and they may have some euros. They even couldn't call the other branch because it was lunch time they said!!!
I walked all the way to Clifton, yes, walked, and arrived all sweaty and on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Is it me getting older or the cashier at banks are getting younger?
Whatever... after hearing the amount of euros I wanted in cash the girl at the counter called her boss and she was puzzled and first told me that they don't store that much and if they could manage it it would have to be in small change. I was about to start screaming like a banshee and I truly don't know how I manage to explain the situation and keep my cool.
Anyway, to make a long story short, after nearly 2 hours of negotiations they produced the money. I felt as I was treated as I was about to con the bank because I wanted to take some of my money there and then; however, it was the incompetence of the other branch on the first place that did it so I called the brunch manager and made a point in making him write my complain and told him that I want a formal apology and some form of compensation.
Not that I really expect that, but they made the whole experience more unpleasan thay they should and I was annoyed to say the least.

So, finally I left the bank with the money. More cash together than I've ever seen before and what did I do? Go straight home to hide the cash under the mattress? Wrong. I was way to stressed for that, so I went to unwind at the nearby Borders, the bookshop. I took my time and browsed the books, magazines and cds, I even have some time to sit with them with a latte in the Starbuck cofee shop they have in a corner. Heaven!

( It's not that I particularly like Starbuck, if at all possible I always go to local coffe shops and try to avoid chains stores, but let's face it, good coffee is not England's cup of tea -not pun intended).

Off course I bought some books for me and the guys, after all they were doing a 2 for 3 deal and they even gave me a store voucher for a 25% discount for my next purchase.
After all that, and much more collected but somehow smelly, I went home to take a much needed shower and went to have dinner with friends.

They are rebuilding Bristol now that we're gone. With all the roadworks plus the rush hour it took the bus 1 hour to take me from Broadmead to Horfield! (3 miles?)

The day ended a bit badly because I all but collapsed in my friends' living room when my blood pressure dropped suddenly after a biggish meal and when I was finally relaxing. I forgot to take my medicine with me and I payed for it.
They called a taxi for me and the bearded and turbaned Sikh cabbie was a sweetie and very helpful to me once I explained that I was feeling poorly and after a made a point in telling him that I didn't drink a drop. He even helped me to open the door when we arrived.
I probably should have stayed at home after all the money business, but I had to see at least a couple of friends. I just have to. My friends and my job are the things that I miss the most and I'm sorry that the time didn't stretches enough to allow me to go to Filton library. I miss you all ladies!!

I had a tough night but I managed to sort out a few things that we left at my friend's place and to take some with me and to send most for charity.

At 7:30 am I was in a taxi to the airport.

It's sad to leave Bristol again. But somehow it feels less home now than the guys are settled in Barcelona. After all, home is where your darlings are.

A more worrisome matter was to actually travel with that amount of cash, so, instead of placing it in my handbag I just put it in a plastic bag and into Border's bag together with a book, a magazine and my bottled water. The logic behind that is that somebody could be tempted to steal my bag but nobody would steal a book.
Another problem is that is not exactly illegal to take large amounts of cash outside the UK and in to Spain, but you're supposed to declare it in customs. I didn't. I just didn't want to draw any atention to myself.
So, when my personal stuff passed the x-rays at the airport I was slightly nervous and my heart did miss a bit when the guy at the scanner put my bags aside instead of giving it back to me. The actual problem was the bottled water because you're not allowed to take any liquid or gels beyond security nowadays. I had to drink some of the water and then surrender it to the police. If they did notice the money they didn't think any of it.

So I arrived back home by lunchtime. Totally and completelly tired but all safe and sound. I made it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame you didn't make Filton for storytime! Glad things are getting sorted out for you - we do miss you and everyone keeps asking how you are getting on. Good luck with the job - if it's what you want I hope you get it!! Take care. Annette xxx

KlaudjaB said...

Thank you, Annette! I sure miss you all too. Even mrs. Vissu!!!