20 October, 2006

I'm a teacher now!

Well... I had my first 4 classes. I did have a plan for my classes: firstly, I assessed the level of my students (just to make sure they didn't know more than I did!!), that took a good chunk of our time; secondly I asked what do they want from me and our time together and finally we agreed on a plan for the classes for them. On our second class I brought relevant material and we went on from them.

So far I have two classes of 2 students each, one group level is beginners and the other is intermediate, surely they'll keep me on my toes.

Not bad for a clueless first time teacher. Not that they're going to know the difference unless they read it here!!!!

My boss called them later on to gather feedback and they loved me!! They think I'm funny and that they'll learn a lot from me without getting bored. My boss is pleased and asked me once again to take 10 more hours a week and I said no one more time. I don't really enjoy teaching and I'm still looking for a more settled job, maybe full time. So, I'll keep this job going on as a sort of security net while I'm looking for something else.

The only bad thing today was the public transport. I have to travel to their company site which is outside town in and industrial park, just 10 minutes away from home with a car and plenty of parking room, but more tricky to reach using public transport, and it take me a whole hour. I need a car.

My next 2 groups are next Monday and Tuesday, wish me luck.

No comments: