17 October, 2006

Got it!

I manage to arrive on time to the interview and I dressed just as usual: £2 jeans from Tesco (one of the major supermarket in the UK), local supermarket's ssport shoes no makeup.
It's a small language centre, they do translations, interpreting and corporate language teaching.
We had a chat and the lady who owns the place offeredme the job on the spot. She actually begged me to get 20 hours a week and I'm not exaggerating here... well.. not more than usual anyway. She didn't beg but she did offer me 20 hours a week.

The problem is that she wants me to teach English, businessEnglish to adults and I'm not sure I can do that. Just imagine my students going to the States and asking to see the big "skycrappers", or in restaurant ordering "smashed potatoes, to mention only a couple of my most famous mistakes and not to mention that I'm never sure when to use on, in, at etc. Just imagine their writing if they have to learn it from me!!
The blind leading the blind.

The job also involves a lot of driving around hopping from company to company given classes in differents places and I don't have a car yet, not even a local driving licence.

I was ever so honest with her in the interview and told her that I've never taught English before but she tut-tuted me and said that they're desperate for an English teacher and offered extra euros more for each travelling I'd have to do!! Maybe she though I was negotiating or being just modest (as if!). We didn't even have a chat in English, for all she knows I could be totally lying.

So I did the only thing that I could politely do and graciously accepted the job but only 8 hours a week to start with and after a while we'll evaluate how things are going and we'll see.

I start on Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Claudia! you'll be fine - I'm sure they'll love your English! Annette xx

KlaudjaB said...

The poor souls don´t know any better!!

Thanks Annette.

Anonymous said...

Well done babe, There is nothing wrong with your English, it's wonderful.I think you are amazing lots of love Glynis x x xx