13 January, 2007

There's more than tv in life, innit?

Sorry. I've been far too busy watching TV and didn't have time to write.

To my great delight I found out that channel 4 is airing the US version of a Latin American soap opera that my mum used to watch and love sometime ago "Ugly Betty". My mum and other 80 million people loved it.
I'm not sure how good this translation is going to be; meaning not only the language translation but the culture translation as well. Betty was originally living in Colombia, worked for a fashion shop (I think) and all was set in a Latin American environment. In this version Betty is still a clever and sweet but ugly Latina girl, but she lives in New York and work for "Mode" fashion magazine.
The show was such a success that it has been remade for many countries, such as Germany, Russia, Greece, Turkey, Israel, the Netherlands and even Japan.
I've seen it yesterday and it was funny and entertaining.
So, ladies, give it a go.

But. there's more than TV and chocolate in life... allegedly.
The New Year started with a sort of an offer to work with a new language agency. I still don't know for sure if I'll be working for them for long because they're taking their time to make sure I'm good enough for them and I feel I'll be on probation for a while.

Now I'm teaching around 12 hours a week and from the next week I'm going to more or less double my teaching hours, thus doubling my earnings, which is more than alright.
I've got 6 hours with the bosses and owners of a company that make elevators and who are dead set on expanding and taking over the world. Their English is atrocious, (you know, Tarzan stile at their best), and their very keen to learn, which made my job easier. Money is a great incentive.
This year I decided to get myself some text books for teaching as well as my grammar book that I've been using so far.
I also ordered some books to learn how to teach properly on Amazon because I did learn a bit of it while at college but I can do with some help preparing the lessons and some teaching tips. I'm looking forward to get them. Pity there was nothing like "Teaching English for dummies". I did check.
If you came across any book that's particularly good or relevant, please let me know. I need all the help I can get.

3 comments:

KlaudjaB said...

This is just a commertial site fishing for viewers. At least their mail is sweet. However, it's just another form of spam.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering - though the (missing) grammar sort of gave the thing away...

By the way, yesterday night, while baby-sitting, i switched through all available tv-channels and realised: we don't WANT tv :)
The one thing i learned: Madonna is sexiest female singer ever - according to VIVA :) - and they proved it by a hot clip :) She was also the "oldest" singer in the show - and we all know, what to make of that wonderful piece of information, don't we ladies?!

anja

KlaudjaB said...

Get British tv, I do think is the best in Europe.

Regarding Madonna... well...