25 January, 2007

I'm in!

I told you before that I had an interview with a language school that belongs to a couple of British guys. I met one of them, Steve, at the rugby club and after a tough interview with him and his partner, I think he was keen on hiring me but I don't quite think that his partner agreed wholeheartedly. Anyway, they gave a me a few hours a week to start with and they told me that they'll be monitoring me and at the end of the month they'll tell me if I'm good enough to work for them. No money was mentioned at this stage, although I did ask.

Well. On Monday 8th of January, Steve introduced me to the class and stayed there for a good half an hour. The next day we had a post-mortem and he gave me a lot of what I chose to think was feed back, positive criticism and he also suggested changes on my teaching methods.
My attitude was: I'm new at teaching English and this guy's been doing it for 20 years, so he may or may not hire me, but this is my chance to learn something valuable. So I really payed attention and tried to learn as much as I could.

Yesterday, Steve joined my class again for the second and final assessment. By now, I developed a good rapport with my students and I did implemented a lot of what Steve told me. I also prepared my class carefully, so I was as prepared as i could be for the assessment but still nervous. Steve stayed half an hour and left.

So this morning I went to visit him to get the verdict.
He started saying that he was very pleased that I took his advice seriously and applied it, that the class went much smoother than the first one. He also said that it shows both, that I'm willing to learn and that I can teach reasonably well. He still had some more suggestions on how I could improve things but overall he was pleased and satisfied about my teaching and, basically, I'm in!!
I did ask about money, again, and again he was vary vague and told me that it's all on the hands of his accountant. Weird. However, he assured me that I'm going to earn no less of what I'm earning now, which I think is fair enough for now as I'm just started in this business.

All in all I have 11 hours a week now, which is a good start but I really need to double that in order to get a decent amount. We're just starting here and still we're not able to afford some things that we had in Bristol, such as piano and swimming lessons for P. Our basic needs are covered but I'd like to go on holidays during summer and stuff like that, so it's up to me to earn the extra cash.
So, I'm still applyng for jobs. Last Saturday i meet a lady who has contacts with a bilingual school and I'm going to send my CV to her so she can pass it on to them with a kind word. Things work like that all over the world in relation to jobs, but I think that networking it's even more important here in Spain.
We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CHEERS!!!!
a.