27 January, 2007

Homesick

Yesterday I was watching tv and there was a program about medicine, in this case it was all about the lungs and how to keep them in good conditions.
The program was good, very informative and detailed, but the most important part for me was that all the scenes that were not in interiors were actually recorded in Bristol. So, the presenter was cycling along the College Greens, going pass the statues of Queen Victoria and Raja Roy, then going up to the Triangle in Queens Rd until she reached the BBC building in Whiteladies Rd.
We used to live in that area for years, my son was born nearby in St. Michael's Hospital, my graduation ceremony was in the cathedral, "the husband's" was a few yards away in the Well Memorial building. So the images brought me back home and I felt terribly homesick.
So many lovely memories.
Bristol looked so nice!

After that it was "Grow your own vegetables" in BBC2 and I realised that every year around this time I did plant my own seeds and placed then on the windowsill untill they were ready to go out, then all the weeding and pruning and killing bugs until, sometimes, we had a few croocked vegetables but sometimes we had loads.
I miss that too!!
"The husband", ever the realist, remain me that I used to complain a lot about the hard work involved; the way I remember is that I used to complain a lot about him not helping me enough with the work.
Here I have the weather but no garden.
I'm far too lazy to go and get an allotment, and anyway, they're hard to find. Maybe I could plant something in the balcony. It is south facing and very sunny indeed. There's not much room, now with the satelite dish, but... well... I'll get some info about gardens for small places and we'll see.

Maybe I should buy one of those cheap flights to Bristol!

No comments: