29 January, 2007

Freecycle Barcelona

I hate to throw away things that are in good condition, and I always try to recycle where possible. There's enough rubbish in this world to add some more without thinking.
While I was moving away from Bristol, I got rid of many good things by giving them to charities and also by posting offerings in the Bristol Freecycle group. People were always happy to collect all sort of things and I had to restrain myself from taking some of the stuff that was on offer there!
Great site and brilliant idea that saves many good things to end their life prematurely in the dump.

Freecycle has communities all over the world and I was looking forward to get many things from our new flat from them, and getting rid of some good stuff that we brought here only to discover that it doesn't fit or we don't really need it, plus the many boxes and expensive packaging material such as bubble wrap that we used to transport everything.

So, you can imagine that I was very much disappointed when I couldn't find a Freecycle group in Barcelona. That was very sad because it's plain obvious that in any rich European city there's a lot of waste that can be recycled and Barcelona is not the exception.
I keep on complaining and saying that somebody should create one local group, specially after I saw many good staff, such as furniture in good condition, placed to be collected for the council just to be dumped on landfills
Then I've got one eureka moment and decided that if nobody else was doing it, well... I have to do it myself.

So I wrote to the Freecycle people explaining the situation and they asked me loads of questions and... well.. to make a long story short: I was approved and we're starting a group right here.

I'm thrill and more than a bit scared, because I created and managed a newsgroup before and Gods knows that it's a lot of work and you have to invest a lot of time just to keep the group running smoothly.
However, I do believe that we have to give something back to the community where we choose to live, so... wish me luck!

And as every good deed deserves another, I hope that someday I'll find somebody who's giving a clarinet away so I can get one to keep on learning!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done girl! You are so amazing - I don't know where you get all your energy from. Hope Freecycle works really well. Maybe you will get first pick of any good stuff on offer anyway!
Lots of love Deb B.

Anonymous said...

Heh, heh! Deb. B. warn't the only one who thought you wuz gonna get foist pick... Da way I see it, yer flat's bound to bust at the seams soon, innit hon? Ain't gonna be no room left fer A's Mom ...
Lotsaluv,
Guernica

KlaudjaB said...

Oh Godess!!
I think I can resist temptation but I'll have to take care with "the husband" ans P. Both are terrible hoarders.

After all the packing and trowing things in Bristol I promised myself never again to collect stuff just for the sake of it. I even promised to obey the rule: one book into the house and another MUST go, only 2 bookshelves and not more. Of course, it's easier said than done.