15 March, 2007

Wind donoughs


That's my own translation of the name of the traditional sweet thingy that we're eating this days. "Buñuelos de viento". They're made with flour, butter, eggs, sugar, a touch of anise seeds and cinnamon, deep fried and then powdered with sugar. They're very seasonal and you can only find them in shops from now and until the beginning of Easter's week. They're incredibly light and when you bite them they feel like little, mostly empty, bubbles of sweetness, as if they're made from "wind" (not that the end result of eating them is wind, as P. asked).

I discovered them yesterday in the bakery and asked about them. The lady there already knows me and she always gave me a sample to try of everything together with an description of the ingredients and, if necessary, the season where you suppose to eat them. That proves to be a very successful selling strategy as it usually results in me buying a bunch to take home and share with the guys.

This is the link for the recipe in English.

I'm very bold in the bakery and I try most things there, but I'm still in awe regarding the fishmonger. They have an amazing variety of fish and sea food there, I wouldn't know where to start or how to cook those things, I couldn't even name most of it! I just quickly pass in front of it, taking glances at the goodies as I go. The fish are artfully presented in a bed of ice and some of they are still alive in water (lobsters). From time to time they're sprayed with a fine mist of water, so they look ever so fresh and tempting. If I only I knew where to start!

No comments: