07 March, 2007

Not too bad

Yesterday I had my third assessment with Steve. It also was the first class with a new group of bankers and I was, of course, very nervous. When I finished my BA I swore that never again I'd submit my self to the indignities of having to undergo an exam... and here I am.
Never say never, is the easiest way to look like an idiot!

Whatever!

I did prepare the lesson and all the material, making sure to have enough batteries to play the tape, photocopies of the first lesson of the book that I'm planing to use and so on.
I had to juggle things a lot in order to take this class because Tuesday is training day for my son and it was the day that "the husband" has the car. My son's school is 45 minutes by bus from the house and he travels by bus, then he had a quick snack and off we went in the midst of rush hour so the motorway was in a standstill. It took us 45 minutes to reach his club when it usually takes us 15. Luckily I left the flat with time to spare and the Bank's building is just 5 minutes from the club so I was on time for the class. That's important because Steve is a stickler for punctuality, and rightly so because students are paying us by the hour. If they're late, which most are here because they work on Spanish time, that's ok but we cannot.
I have the utmost respect for single mums, specially when their charges are young. "The husband" is totally supportive and he often goes out of his way to take care of our kid needs but even then it was hard sometimes. Now, as the boy is getting older and more independent, things are easier, but I can't wait for the next school year when we hope he'll attend a school nearby.

Back to the class... I even tried to learn the student's name in advance but that was no help because Steve gave the wrong list of names anyway so I started the class based on the totally wrong information. It wasn't my fault but his, so it didn't bother me much and the class went smoothly enough. We'll see soon enough what does he thinks of it all. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement but... fair enough... I'm just starting.

I've bought a dock station for my MP3 player, with 2 little speakers in eBay. It cost me a fraction of the price of buying it locally, even including the P&P and it arrived this morning. The idea is to use it with my MP3 players instead of the old-fashioned tapes that I'm currently using for my students to hear part of the lesson and that are wearing off fast. Now I have to figure out how to make MP3 files from the tapes...
I also plan to take some public radio podcast for more advance students to listen to different voices. BBC news are great material, but there's also loads of much more informal podcast that will make great material.

OK. I'm off to work.

No comments: