05 March, 2007

Programming little minds

"The husband" started teaching our son a computer language so he'd be able to program stuff. I privately though that the kiddo was far too young (he's 10) for that but I let them be. And I was totally wrong. The language is not a "kid-language" but a real one called Delphi and "the husband" started teaching the little guy how to create shortcuts so that his laptop writes "hello" when he turns it on.
After a few hours "the husband" came back to the living room and he said that he was totally blown away by the ease with which young and mostly empty minds can learn and get the information when they really want to. "The husband" just gave the kid some pointers and he just run away with that, solving problems and thinking in tune with computer logic.
And this is, mind you, the same child who is far too lazy to write properly or do all his homework! There's not child genius here, just a motivated and curious child.
If he keeps like that we'll have a hacker pretty soon!

Part of what is expected from me in Steve's agency is too keep updated their interactive web page with learning material for students. I'm trying to learn how to use a program to create graphics and interactive quizzes that students can use to learn and build up knowledge. I've no problem with getting ideas, but the programming part is driving me crazy.
Now I'm thinking of getting my son to learn to use the program that I need to use, so that I'd give him the ideas and material and he'll then build the web page! He can then buy for himself his beloved Wii.
Of course I could pay him for that, or is that child labour and thus not allowed? I need to check labour laws in Spain.

No comments: