18 September, 2006

our belongins

Well. We've got all our earthy belongings with us now. Boxes and boxes of stuff that made me wander what I was thinking when I sent all this rubbish instead of giving it away to charity to start afresh.
After all I do think that all that was really important and irreplaceable was a couple of boxes of all pictures and letters from family and friends and a box of important documents such as our degrees and all the naturalization papers. All the rest is just clutter.
Anyway, it's our clutter and we're quite pleased to have it all here.

I still have to check that everything arrived in good condition but so far, it looks ok. One funny thing, though, is that the hedge cutter arrived unexpectedly because we sold that to our neighbour and friend back in Bristol. The removal men must have seen that and packed it without us realising. Well... I'll take it to Bristol next time we're going, that if I'm allowed to travel with that scary looking machine, you never know this days.

I'm quite chuffed that all our boxes fit really nicely in our flat. It seemed big until now and we're saving a few euros on renting a box in a storage house. (actually a couple of hundred euros saved, which is quite a bit of money for us now).

Most thing will stay boxed until we move to a more permanent address, but I started to need some other things, such as winter clothes and a proper hoover (long life to that Dyson guy who invented the hoover without bags).

"The husband" is starting to adapt our electric appliances to Spain. The electricity is the same but the actual plug is different, so he's cutting off the plugs and installing the Spanish versions. It seems a bit final to see him cutting the plugs, discard them and connect the Spanish ones, as if this shows how commited we are to live here for good. Are we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh k it must be so good to get your things. You know we still miss you in the library and I keep thinking of you take care and lots of love Glyn x x x x x x x

KlaudjaB said...

Not THAT good. I wander what made me send this rubbish in the first place!! AND they're going to stay in boxes until we move to a more permanent aboves.

By the way, I found a library book in one box. ooops.