10 September, 2006

Found it!

Being Saturday, the boys went to have some quality time together, in this case to play paddle and to check the local gym while I decided to walk around town to get to know the place.
As usual, my good fortune took me to find something nice: the local library. Huge and new building in a colonial style, a bit empty on the inside but I was thrilled nonetheless. A library is always a sort of safe haven for me, ever since childhood where I did prefer the library to any party. Even in the poorest of them you're bound to find at least some unread books inviting as little doors to other worlds and lives. And there's always the hope that inside the good looking ones a throve of information, loads of books and who know what else.
This particular library looked good. The foreign section a bit of a disappointment, of course, but not worse that what we had in South Gloucestershire. Here most of the books in English were fiction, paperback thrillers and little else, not even chick-lit!! The surprise was to discover that most of the books were in Catalan and not all of them translation from Spanish or whatever else, it seems that the Catalans are great readers and they have some great writers too. An example of that is the world wide best seller "The shadow of the wind" that was written and published first in Catalan. Well... another reason to learn the local language!

All was fine until I tried to actually became a member to the library. I'm not going to bother you with the details of Spanish bureocracy in its Catalan version. Let me just say that it was more difficult to join the library than it was to register as a resident. Why, oh, why??? Two trips back hoome to get passports and assorted pieces of documents and we were in. Finally.

The first book I borrowed was an audio course: "Learn Catalan". I hope it works!

No comments: