05 September, 2006

and Fiesta again

More fiesta today. In fact the diables woke the town up at 8:30 according to the tradition. Not fun if you, like us, went to bed at 2pm the night before.

A friend of a friend form England come to see us and we spend sometime together showing them Sabadell, the fiesta and the tapas.

The kids (theirs and mine) found a show of games and toys made from recycled material. The kids had to get a card and try and solve all the games. My dear English son had a cultural shock discovering that children in Cataluyna don´t queu. After a bit of frustration I suggested him to keep an eye and jump in politely but firmly when he thought it was his turn, and he did it and problem solved. (well... he´s really big for his age). The games were really imaginative and fun and my son was truly hooked for 3 straight hours.

The downside to the fiesta is that you cannot get to buy anything during this few days. Except for bars, cafes, restaurants and suchlikes.
So far so goo because I haven´t had to cook for a while and it´s too hot to do it anyway.

Talking about the art of queuing lets just say that is only an art in Olde England. It´s not that people don´t queu here, they do, but in a subtle way. After being in some queus during the time I´ve been here (and I know that my nightmares with the bureaucracy have not even started yet) I discovered that the method is like this: you enter the room (bank, health centre, whatever) do a quick check on the people scatered all over the place and ask aloud who´s the last one in the queu, somebody will answer or put his/her hand up and you just tag your self to that person, once s/he´s been serve then you go. It took me sometime to gather this info because the people ussually ask in Catalan but now I´ve got it and it works fine.

No comments: