03 September, 2006

Fiesta!! Again!

I´m not going to tell you all about the moving. Let me just say that it was as traumatic and stressful as they always are and it took us the whole day yesterday to start to recover.

Yesterday was also my birthday (43 if you must know). The whole of Sabadell is having a party this weekend and it´s very odd to be in a festive mood with the whole village. Nice!

August is the month of the year when most villages and even some neighbourhoods in bigger tows are having their annual fiesta or Fiesta Mayor (Festa Major in Catalan). See the poster at the side.

The whole town is in a party mood and there´s something to see in loads of different places, squares, parks, even some closed streets on the most central areas. From children parties to street entertainer to music concerts or shows. It´s not possible to see it all so you have to plan in advance what are you going to see and then plan your itinerary around town with a map. Of course, this being Spain after all, there´s always cafes and tapas´places to eat and get some water or beer to keep you going.

We saw an Argentinean street performer who was unusually funny and clever. The Spaniard are good sports and people (not just kids) participate gladly in the show, making it the more enjoyable.

Then we saw the parades of Moros y Cristianos Moors and Christians (the concept of politically correct doesn´t cut the mustard in Spain), an ancient tradition portraying the defeated Moors and the Christians winners parading around town regally dressed and with great scimitars and swords and with musicians following them playing a catchy tune. The Christians around this part of the world have St. Georges´cross as their flag, which make my son wonder if the Christian were actually Englishmen or at least English fans. No chance. St. George or San Jordi is also the saint patron of Catalunya.

After that we went for some tapas and I was given my presents. My sweets guys really made an effort this years even though we were all so busy. I love them. I also opened the present that me dad left me and it was his digital camera!! I´ve been wanting one for ages and now I can post my own pictures in this blog. Great!

Then we strolled back to the central square where the Ball of the devils was talking place. For all that we could gather, the devils were trying to take the town as they do every year and the people reject them and send them back to Hell. Some guys were dressed as devils and some children were dressed as villagers. The devils had big and scary looking devils´forks that they used to light a big and noisy display of fireworks literally under peoples´noses!! Scary and the son was at the same time thrilled and indignant at their disregard for security.
They shouted poems back and forth and they were probably really funny because the crowd laughed and clapped the best of them. I couldn´t understand a word. I´ve been told that the speeches are written anew every year anew and they always include mention of current events and made fun of local politicians. I´m determined that next year I´ll be able to understand them.
It all ended with all the devils lying dead on the floor and a big and colourful firework display. Really impressive.

Finally and at near 11pm we went to see the World of Dance festival and there was an Argentinean folk Group. Then the night turned into a bizarre event. Imagine going to live abroad and then to another country and finding a Morris dancers performance on the street of a small town. Bizarre. I do know that we Argentineans are a big part of the population here and it shouldn´t surprise me. However, after the devils´ show and a BIG cold beer I found the Argentinean´s fold group quite bizarre nonetheless.
Don´t get me wrong, they were VERY good, a proffesional ensemble with a very good production. Two hours of music and dance, great costumes and although the dances were a bit over-choreograph they were tastely done and it was a plesure to watch.
It was also the first time that my son could see some of the traditional Argentinean dances such as malambo, and it pains me to say that he wasn´t impressed at all!!

Remeber that all this is not aimed at the tourist. I´ve hardly hear any foreign language around, this is made for and by the people and it´s a tradition dating for donkeys years.

Well. Forgive me now, but it´s still fiesta out there and we´re going to join them while we can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Claudita:
Parabens a voce
Nesta data querida
Muitas felicidades
Muitos anos de vida!!!!
bjs
Fatima

KlaudjaB said...

Fatima, querida. Muito obrigada!!!