21 December, 2007

wrong NLP tape?

I'm starting to think that I've may been hearing the wrong NLP tape... as I still feel sad and emotional (I've go all mushy when I see any add on TV with a dog on it, even cartoon dogs and I still cannot walk near the place where Darwin died) but I've been behaving a bit out of character recently.

Judge for yourself:
A couple of days ago I sent an e-mail to my boos telling her that the other (the British guys') are actually paying me more and that they offer me some extra hours for January and I'm considering the offer, so that we needed to meet and talk.
Her answer was a brief text to my mobile saying that they have a present for me in their office and that she'd be happy to talk when I can drop in to collect it.
So I went today (my final day teaching until next year), after my last class (around 10 o'clock) to give her all my hours' sheets and pick the present up. She was very nice, as usual, and we chit-chated a bit about this and that and she gave a lovely box of chocolates. She then told me that they're still a small and newish agency, that they're taking only a small commission from the teaching hours I've got so they cannot offer me a lot of an increase on my hourly rate. However, she added that they're very happy with my job as my students' report that they're very happy with me and I actually have a queue of people wanting to join my classes in one of the companies I work with. So they're willing to stretch as much as they can to give me a raise and that we needed to talk with them before agreeing to take some hours with the other agency.

So, I think I was very assertive and we negotiated a bit until we reached an agreement that I'm quite happy with. I've got a raise on my actual pay that it means around €200 more per month with the same hours I'm doing now. We also agreed that I'd take some extra job translating, which means even a bit more money at the end of the month, and doing something that I can do at home while I'm checking that P does his homework.

Great!

So, now I think that maybe... maybe... I downloaded the wrong tape and got one of those motivational speeches with NLP where people learn to be more pro-active and assertive.
I've never before asked for a pay rise! And never, ever, imagined myself telling a boss that I totally deserve a rise as I'm very good at my job and I'm getting great results. And without blushing violently.

The cheek of me!!

So, now I'm going on a 2 week holidays that are not going to be the best ever, but at least from January I'd be earning a bit more and that's nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to bring you down even lower babe but it took me 3 months after Benji died to think of her without crying. When we had Hunny i kept calling her Benji for the first few months so I think you are doing very well at the moment after all it was traumatic. Just hang in there and try to have a very happy Christmas love to all of you Glynis x x x

KlaudjaB said...

YES!!! Every time I drop something on the floor I think that Darwin will scoop it away and it's so sad that he's not here to do so!