22 December, 2007

Crazy pre-Christmas time

As soon as I finished getting my salary up I went to the supermarket to buy some food in order to avoid the rush during the weekend.
Patxi want a traditional British Christmas dinner so we watched Jamie Oliver on TV and decided to copy his turkey recipe as it seems absolutely delicious. Is funny as we never had a traditional Christmas dinner ever while we were in Britain. We keep the tradition of eating a big meal with friends on Christmas's Eve and then only leftovers on a very lazy Christmas day. More or less what they do here.
So, we'll mix and match. We're going to have tuukey with all the trimmings, Jamie's style, with Cava (the local champagne) with pineapple (my dad's own drink) , Spanish turrón and Italian tiramisú for dessert on Christmas's Eve.

Of course that after checking all the ingredients of Jamie's turkey we needed to go back to the supermarket today. Which I totally hated as half Spain is out and about doing the shopping. Luckily nobody eats turkey here so I've no problem finding a small and nice one and the trimmings were no problem, except for the goose fat that was nowhere to be seen. I'll try again on Monday if I can face the las minute crowds.

I've seen so down lately that I've not even considered buying any presents, Patxi doesn't want anything this year, the poor thing is as sad as me, but "the husband" was very disappointed when I suggested having no presents at all until the Three Kings night. So at the very last minute I had to go around and try to find something for him in the mist of a huge crowd of frantic shoppers... my mind is not working properly and I couldn't find anything to buy.
I'm going to try again on Monday, while I take a break while doing the cooking.

At the end of the day I'm all tired and cranky. Christmas' spirit, anyone?

No comments: