26 December, 2007

Peaceful Christmas

We cooked for hours to get a great dinner on Christmas' Eve and we've got it.
"The husband" invited a guy he knows from his lab who was all alone as his fiancée is in Argentina preparing their wedding (they're getting married in Argentina in mid-January), so we were four at the table.
Dinner was magnificent. The turkey took longer to cook that I expected, Jamie Oliver's site said that you have to calculate 1 hour per kilo and I miscalculated counting the weight of the turkey without the stuffing, but I've been told that to have the turkey a bit later that expected is very traditional anyway.
However, when the turkey was finally done it was divine. We followed the recipe on his website and the result was great.
This is the web page in case you'd like to do it yourself: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/christmas/
I couldn't find cranberries to make a sauce but all the rest was there, including wonderfully crispy potatoes, and we had a gourmet dinner.

I didn't drink alcohol as somebody needed to be sober enough to give our guest a lift back to his home in a nearby village.

Despite the food being delicious and me not eating as everybody else did, I had a bad tummy ache and I was pretty sick after dinner. I know is my way of dealing with stress as I bottled up all my sadness and in trying to look great on the outside I can feel my insides literally churning. Lately it's been happening after almost every meal so I'm trying no to eat much.

Christmas day was nice as went to Barcelona for a walk. This is one of those rare days when the city is not flooded with people and you can look around and up without bumping against busy passers-by or tourists.
Christa you're right, this city is beautiful and just strolling around in a sunny day is enough to make anyone feel better.

No comments: