20 April, 2007

The whole chicken for dinner

A few days ago I bought a chicken in the supermarket. I usually buy chicken pieces to use as we're only 3 people at home and a whole chicken seems too much; but because now we're 4 I decided it was ok to get one to roast.
The package was apparently the same as in the UK, you can see the chicken breast and and legs as the chicken sits in a plastic tray and it's tightly cover with a clear plastic sheet. In the label it said: whole chicken, the weight and the price and I choose a smallish one that I thought it'll be ok for us and took it home without a thought.
Well... yesterday I opened the packaging and was startled when I lift it up and the head hung down from its long neck. I haven't seen a chicken head in a long while and was surprised to see it there. After the first what-the-hell moment, I just removed the thing off and placed the chicken in the tin to be seasoned before going to the oven.
Luckily I then though that if this "whole chicken" actually had the head... it may well has all the internal organs as well... and I checked and it had. Yucky! I don't think I've ever eviscerated a chicken before but I vaguely remember my mum or the cook doing it while I was very young; I even remember how they removed the feathers but it's not something I was looking forward to ever do.
Yesterday, though, there was no option since I was not going to put to waste a perfectly good chicken or cook another thing. So I did remove all the internal organs and I felt a bit of a Kay Scarpetta, (the forensic doctor who is fictional a character in some Patricia Cornwell's novels).
It was very interesting and a bit messy because I didn't have a clue how to do it properly and I couldn't even ask my mother-in-law as she was away with "the husband". There were some ghastly bits and, just in case, after removing everything I could think off, I wash the whole thing very thoroughly. I can proudly say that it was the cleanest chicken we ever ate. And it was very good.
My son P. latter said it was a pity that I throw everything away as he read somewhere that chicken liver is a delicacy.

So, the moral of this story is: if you're ever visit Spain and decide to cook, bear in mind that when the packaging said pollo entero "whole chicken" it means precisely that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a great story-teller - i was laughing out loud (and getting strange looks from the rest of the family)
love you!

KlaudjaB said...

I appreciate that!