10 March, 2008

the worst flue ever

I've had the worst flue ever!
It all started with P getting sick on Friday 23th of February. He had some fever and said that he didn't feel well so he stayed home all day long. When I arrived home later that day he was, very unusually, still in bed (in my bed!) totally knackered and he stayed that way for the whole weekend. He even missed his team final game of the local championship and for my son not to go to play rugby... well... that was a first.
In any case, he's such a strong little guy that by Tuesday 26th he was ok and back to school.

By Wednesday 27th I had a slight cough early in the morning but of course I went to work as usual. By 4pm that day I had lost my voice completely, I was not only hoarse but virtually mute. This never happened to me before but I wasn't feeling that bad and it was sort of amusing to have to cancel my classes for a few days... or so I thought.

By the first of March I was in bed with fever and a heave chest, couldn't sleep properly and was feeling utterly miserable.
Of course, by then "the husband" also got it and this time I felt truly sorry for him as he was as bad or worse than me and he didn't got to work either.

To make a long story short... that was the reason I didn't write, I just couldn't. I spend a solid week in bed feeling miserable and sorry for myself. The proverbial silver lightning is that because I couldn't smell and my sense of taste was all but gone I didn't eat much and I lost 3 kg.

The first time that I felt well enough to go to work was Friday the 7th and even when I only worked 4 hours as some classes were cancelled due to a local fiesta, I ended up feeling as tired as if I'd climbed Mount Everest!

This week I'm working hard to try to catch up with my students and some translation work that I have to do, e-mails, blog, etc.

No comments: