21 February, 2008

Not much

Sorry for not writing but there's not much to write about (thanks G!) as this is a busy but calm month, if you know what I mean.

The local freecycle newsgroup that I've opened is getting busy with more that 350 member and is a nice feeling to know that I'm doing something for the community where I live. The idea of freecycle is to encourage people to recycle by giving away things that they don't need instead of throwing things away as most people do here. The concept of recycling is pretty new here and I'm glad that I'm doing my bit spreading the idea. People do throw away perfectly good things in Bristol too but here there's no such things as charity shops where you can take your old whatever so... imagine the waste!

The job is still ok. I did cut down 2 hours on Tuesdays' morning because I didn't get along with the students and they were cancelling far too many classes. I think I can get along with most people and I'm very professional about that, but the fact is that I hate waking up early and they were cancelling far too many classes so I woke up for nothing. So at the end I value more my sleep and decided to give that class up.
To my own surprise, I'm still enjoying teaching and my boss tells me that the rate of cancellation was way down since I'm here, meaning that I'm keeping people motivated to attend the lessons, which is half of the job as people usually starts with great enthusiasm and then after a few months get bored and quit.
I don't like all the driving everywhere as driving is stressing but for now is too much of a hassle to start really looking for another job.

Ate the moment I'm trying to understand how the education system really work here as we have to enrol P. in a secondary school before April. The system is further complicated by the fact that we live in an Autonomous Community whose laws are not necessary the same as the rest of Spain. So far I know that education is compulsory until children are16 years-old, is called secondary education (as the O levels) and then people can choose to go on to do a bachillerato (sort of the A levels) if they want to go on to university, or choose a more practical thing. After the basic things get complicated in that schools can be state owned or not, a mix of both, religious, non-religious, with Spanish as the main language or Catalan, English, Japanese, German, etc. Sadly there's not such thing as a table for school's performance but some are horrible and some good, the problem is how to know which one as we don't know who to ask or whose opinion to trust!
So, I'm busy researching our options and believe me... information is hard to find here.

No comments: