12 March, 2008

Book update

I've downloaded a talking book that I enjoyed very much listening. Is called Naked in Baghdad by Anne Garrels who was the war correspondent in NPR (National Public Radio in USA), only 1 of 16 US journalist who stayed in Baghdad during the invasion. As she's a radio journalist I thought it'd be a better to hear the book instead of read it and I did enjoy the book a lot. She talks about the situation of the people and the city but also of her own tribulations and feelings and she manages to convey a very clear picture as one feels like you're somehow with her. The book also contains the e-mails with personal updates that her husband is writing to friends and family.
Although I remember following the invasion on the news at the time, this book is not just a re-statement of facts but a very insightful and personal view. Often sad but sometimes unexpectedly funny and I enjoyed the very female middle-aged perspective. Once I started listening to this audio book I just couldn't put it down.

Please listen to it if you can get it.

Now I started reading a book that I bought very recently on amazon.co.uk and had it shipped here around a month ago.
I loved Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood bible which is one of my all-time favourite list, but this one is a non-fiction account of her and her family as they're trying to eat only locally produced and seasonal produce at least for a whole year.
The idea temps me as I grew up eating mostly seasonal and locally produced food and then embraced the eat-everything at all times culture more or less when I moved to England. It was there too when I started eating loads of highly processed food, something that was far too unusual and expensive to eat back home.
Then, well after Patxi was born I started to learn about what exactly is inside processed food and the effect of pesticides and conservatives and I slowly turned from junk food addict to a more concious and, hopefully, healthier consumer.
But it was only recently that I learned about the carbon footprint of food as is it send all over the world and I started to wander if we really need to eat fresh tomatoes the whole year around.
Plus... I'm in a country that takes its food seriously and I' learning to appreciate food's raw materials in a different way.
So, as I'm trying to educate myself and my family on ways of eating healthily I bought this book and so far it hasn't disappointed me. I'm even getting some ideas of going rural!!

But so far, I'm still a Coca Cola addict!!

No comments: