13 June, 2007

My friends are back

">" border="0" alt="" />
After spending some time in the south of Spain visiting their cousin, my friends are back here until Friday.
It's very nice to have them around, specially their little toddler. Isn't it amazing how much space this little people fill in any home? They're the centre and the heart of any home and little baby Esmeralda was not exception. We've all took turns to play with her, talk to her and teach her little silly performances to amuse us. P's did the best one as he tough her to dance as the dog in a funny little video we found on youtube. So when the music sounds she puts her hand on top of her head, then on front of her and so on, as does the doggy. She's so funny and cute!

As usual, having friends here is great but also a bit sad as it does highlight the fact that I still don't have friends here. What I miss the most is the chance to share my thoughts and everyday life with, to just talk and laugh. Of course, I'm talking all day long as part of my job, and I do write mails and share my life here as well, but, of course, it's not the same as to do so in real time and face to face.

In many senses we've moved to Barcelona to be downshifters. Downshifters are those people who voluntarily made a long-term change in their lifestyle (other than retirement) which result in earning less money, reducing their work hours or quit work to study or stay at home. People who decided to quit the rat race in order to have better quality of life.
In our case, my work was just right and I loved it, but "the husband" wasn't happy, life for him in England was too much work and not enough "life". So, we thought that things would be different here.
In a way they are, or better say: they have the potential to be. We knew that to achieve the way of life that we wanted was not just a matter of moving countries and I knew that in order to achieve what we wanted we needed to work a lot at the beginning. I'm under no illusions and I'm totally conscious that the first few years are going to be tough and that we need to make sacrifices and make things work for us.
So, I miss my friends and right now I'm working far more than I did in Bristol and God knows I need a holiday, but we seems to be on the right track. Only time will tell.

No comments: