06 June, 2007

Driving over lemmons

I took my dad and my friends to the Park Guell yesterday. I just drove them and dropped them at the entry to save them all the long tube rid plus the longish walk, and then went back to work. For my dad the walk in the park was going to be be tiresome enough and I didn't want him to arrive already exhausted and my friends were kindly taking him with them, so it was only fitting.
It was actually my first drive in the city in peak time, as I'm always driving home after we've been there dinning, usually late in the evening, because I don't drink, and by that time the city is almost empty and a pleasure to drive.

A foray with a small car into Barcelona in working hours is totally mad and something to be avoided if at all possible.

The city is mad enough and really busy, as you'd expect a big city to be. However, on top of that: this people are mad!
They drive like maniacs, they don't know or respect the rules and they do park whenever and wherever they feel like it.
Luckily for me, I've got a GPS who tells me where to go and it works beautifully, so I could concentrate in avoiding parked vans and lorries, trying not kill the British tourist when they try and cross the road looking at the other side and other pitfalls like these.
What I couldn't avoid was to literally drive over a bunch of lemons that felt off a truck that was parked on a zebra crossing, while the guys were downloading fruits and veg's for a shop. It was just a few and the guys didn't even noticed they felt, but as I squashed them I was immediately reminded of Chris Stewart and his beautiful book on living in the Alpujarras. The experiences are a world apart but somehow I felt the connection there and then.
If you haven't read the book yet, please do it, as it's lovely.

My friends are going tomorrow for a while and I'm going to miss them!

No comments: