25 February, 2007

Strawberries!

Can you believe it? Fresh strawberries in February!

Every greengrocer in town and, of course, the supermarkets, are starting to sell strawberries. They look ok but I'm really trying to buy seasonal and local products to be more in tune with nature, plus they're cheaper and better quality most of the time. Whatever, the strawberries looked tempting and the prices were increasingly cheaper but I though that it was far too early for strawberries so I was bravely resisting the temptation to buy what I though were cheap imports from a third world country.

Then on Saturday I asked the very nice girl at the greengrocers around the corner if the strawberries were local. She said that actually local, they aren't, but they are from Murcia, which is local enough for me as it's a province in the same country just a few hours drive down south. She said that this winter has been really mild and that they're a bit earlier than usual but only a month or so.
So, my conscience assuaged and in peace with my green good intentions, I bought a big wooden box of them. They were pretty big strawberries and they smelled strongly and fresh and they did taste divine. By the time the guys were back home from rugby I've already started and they loved them too.
We had strawberries with cream, milkshake, on their own, with a dust of sugar on top, you name it. We had a pink weekend!

No comments: