21 October, 2007

Rugby overdose

Well. The rugby world cup is over and we're very proud of the Pumas as they've reached new heights beating France twice in a very dramatic and colourful game that we saw on Friday (thanks that we have Sky tv as the world cup was not aired in Spain). Then it all ended in tears for England as we lost against South Africa. I feel as if they beaten us twice!! (that's the downside of having two nations).

Meanwhile life was going on and we learned that it's actually true that we may take up to 2 years to recover the money to repair the car as the other party was Hungarian and they're not even into the European Union yet. So it does make sense to pay for the repayments ourselves and then wait until (and if) we get the money back.
So now we're trying to find out how much the repairs are actually going to cost, how long it'll take and we haven't even started to think how are we going to manage to find the money. We don't even have a Spanish credit card yet... although this may be a good time to get one.

On top of that Patxi's teacher call us really worried because he's regularly falling asleep in class and when asked told him that he has trouble sleeping plus he's homework is not delivered on time if at all and his overall performance is falling recently.
After a bit of research we find out that the reason P couldn't sleep was that he kept on playing or surfing the net until the small hours. I was very much against the idea of letting him keep his computer in his room on the first place, but there's no room elsewhere. Regarding the homework and overall performance, I think the reason he's not doing as well as he can it is that there's nobody at home to really check as I'm working longer hours and I'm not at home to check what he's doing.
So we took immediate action. We dealt with the playing all night long night problem by blocking him access to the computer after certain hour. And I took the executive decision of cutting down my working hours in order to be at home when he arrived from school. That means less money at the end of the month (around 100€ less per week, which is a lot for us) and I didn't even check this with "the husband". I just thought about it overnight, then took the decision and informed the agency. All was dusted and done by the time "the husband" arrived home later the next day and he wasn't too please about it.
For me is a matter of priorities, and since I decided to have a child I've just knew that he was going to come first, always. Now I feel that he need his mum at home to coach him in order to learn how to self motivate and do homework without a coach. So, I'm going to be there.

My boss at the agency (the Catalan one) is a mother of 2 girls around the same age as mine so she was very understanding and made it very easy for me as I've just got to teach for one more week my afternoon classes and that's it.

Regarding the loss of money... well... we'll manage. For instance we were thinking of getting someone to clean the flat and now I'll have more time to do it myself. Great.

Any money saving tips are going to be very much apreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done you. He needs his mum now to sort things out, not later when they really go wrong. He'll be fine after all look at his mum and dad love Glynis x x x x

KlaudjaB said...

Let's hope so!