04 October, 2007

Quarterfinals

We're following the rugby world cup this year and we're truly enjoying the Argentinean performance so far. The fact that they managed to beat the host and favourite team, France, in their home turf in Paris on the first match did wonders to boost the morale of the team (and the fans!).
Well, life has a way dealing bad and good cards, sometime even on the same day.
A few days ago and through the rugby club mailing list, "the husband" received an e-mail offering to sell 2 good seats tickets for the incoming quarter final match Argentina vs. Scotland. Those tickets were sold out ages ago, as everybody assumed that they'd be for the match between France and whoever was second in the other group. Now that the Argentines relegated France to the second position on that group, loads of French fans are trying to exchange their tickets to be able to go to Cardiff and watch France vs. All Blacks. (and they're furious that the match with the host has to be done in another country). (for their part, the Argentineans must be delighted that they don't have to play against the almighty kiwis, plus whoever wins is bound to end up dead tired as it's going to be a tough match).
Of course, those tickets are never cheap, so "the husband" asked my opinion. I said that this was once on a lifetime opportunity as we'd always wanted to see a world class event like this one and that we work hard so we can afford to do the things we want to do. So, we agreed that if the price was reasonable, we'd buy the tickets and go to Paris.

Then, more or less around the time I had my crash, "the husband" sent and e-mail buying the tickets.
So, despite the bad blow of the crash, we also had the good news that two of us are going to Paris for the weekend to see a world cup quarterfinals game!! So exciting!!

Then, after I thought it trough, I realised that this could be a great chance for "the husband" and our son to go together and have a sort of male bonding shared experience. You know... one of those things that people remember for the rest of their life... "the time when my dad got tickets to the quarter final world cup rugby match and we went together". So, very generously I decided to give up my place and let the boys do it.
When I told Patxi that we had 2 seats for the match he looked amazed and pleased but he assumed that it'll be the parents going. So when I said that I really wanted to go but if he wanted to go too I was willing to give my seat to him... well... he just went berserk and started jumping around the kitchen and hugging me and crying how much he wanted to go and that I was the best mum ever. Then he said that this surely count as his birthday present (his birthday is on the 31) and that I could scrape his birthday's present list or return any items that I've already bought.

So, that settled it, I'll watch the match on TV and try to find them in the crew.
We bought Easyjet tickets to Paris for them. They're flying on Sunday morning and arrive in time to go to to the match latter that evening, they´re flying back on Monday. Patxi's going to miss one day at school but I think that the experience is well worthy.

I'm a bit sad because I really wanted to go but there's no way we're going to find 3 tickets seated together, so let's them enjoy this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done you,they will both remember this for ever, and you always tell me you don't like spending money on yourself. That's what I call a good mum love you lots Glynis x x x x

KlaudjaB said...

Does a good mummy feel regret?
I REALLY wanted to go!!

But they're both SO happy now, preparing their shirts!