27 December, 2006

Ikea rules the world.

Long live Ikea.

We've been unpacking and re-building all our Ikea's pieces of furniture, a couple of beds, 2 bookshelves and a chest of drawers. Without instructions it was like doing a gigantic three dimensional puzzle. Great fun but tiresome. It took us 3 days to have all the stuff almost done, we're still missing a bunch of "thingies" (small screws and such stuff) and the backing of one of the bookshelves did a mysteriously disappearance act between Bristol and the new flat.
Nothing is broke, which is amazing considering all the troubles and travels this things had been through.

Of course we still need some furniture and off we went to the local Ikea to get what we needed plus the missing "thingies". They gave us a whole bag of "thingies" for free. Mind you, we bought loads of stuff. A coffee table, 3 lamps, a low table for the TV, video, etc, a small table for P's PlayStation, a bookshelf for the music things, another bookshelf and assorted nick nacks. We had to have them deliver some because there was no way to fix it all in our smallish car.
All this shopping took us at least 3 visit to the store, of at least 4 hours each. We even had lunch there, and tea. I started to like Swedish food by now. Of course we went there on a working day, as it's awful to visit the shop during weekends. Even then, the queues were as long as you can expect, the ussual.

The ladies at Filton library, very wisely, gave me an Ikea voucher as a farewell present and with it I bough a very comfy chair for the computer desk. I'm seating right here now and it's great. I'll try to post a picture of my blogging happily in my new chair. Thank you, guys!!

I adore Ikea, all you may need for your home in a single, huge, store. The only problem is the ubiquitous crowd. I think that some people go to Ikea just to stroll along, because it cannot be that many people buying furniture all the time.

According to the BBC, 1 in 10 Europeans had been conceived in Ikea beds. Check this BBC site for all sort of trivial info like that by clicking here.

"The husband" is telling me off for writing this while there's so many things to do right now. So... by for now, back to work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - good to have you back on your blog! I missed you - was just beginning to wonder if you had found something much more fun to do than writing it but thank goodness you're back again!
Happy New Year! Oh yes - I gave G a passport application form for Christmas so you can try and persuade her to come out and visit you now.
Still miss you loads - love Deb B.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good time. Love the picture. Yes she did give me an application form and as it's my birthday soon I've asked the family for money for the passport. So watch this space. love and kisses x x x x x

Anonymous said...

Agree it's good to have you back! Sounds like you needed my expertise with Ikea furniture - 2 student houses furnished back in the summer if you remember - I'm an expert at wardrobes, chests of drawers & desks! Enjoy your chair and keep blogging! Annette xx

KlaudjaB said...

Goodness Gracious me!!
Little Ms. Naughty got a passport application?? What's next!!

Great idea, Deb. Now we can hope to make real the plan to all of you visiting me soon. I can't wait!

Annette.. o i wish you were here.
I used to love Ikea and i'm starting to have alergic thoughts of screwing madly... in the bad sence of the word.

Anonymous said...

We've had the same experience: on weekends Ikea is always packed - for some people it seems to be the equivalent of a stroll through the park - and sometimes the "some people" becomes "us people" :) Ikea is always good for a family-outing on a rainy day: plenty of space for the twins to run around, crawling under furniture, jumping across mattresses, hiding behind curtains (all without broken furniture and bones so far) and (in their case) food for free and (in my case) endless coffee for one euro only :). The bad part: we always spend more money than good...