19 December, 2006

Conected again!!

A few days without Internet connexion feels weird. And lonely. I think I'm addicted somehow.

Anyway... I'm back!!

Let's see. The past few days were pretty hectic, the usual stuff when moving. I've been decorating, nothing wild, just plain white walls. It seemed a good idea at the time but now I'm not that sure. I haven't realised that white is actually a very dirty colour, every speck of dirt, whatever colour, just jumps at you. Not good when you have a dirty 10 year-old-rugbier at home.
Whatever!
I've done the living-room and I'm about to finish my room and I'm most definitely not painting again. I think I'll cover the walls with bookshelves and art.
Sounds pretty good, but actually, books in English are hard to come by and, while there is plenty of original artwork in Barcelona, mind you, it doesn't come cheap. Anyway, we've seen some beautiful original paints and it seems worthy to save and buy a couple in years to come. After all, we don't have that many wall to cover with art in the first place.

We're still sleeping at the rented flat, and it's a mix blessing because in the new one there's so much to unpack, so many things to do that it's just overwhelming. On the bad side, I have 2 flats to keep tidy.
So far we managed to unpack and fix the desk and we have an old laptop installed so I can check my e-mail and keep my blog sort of up to date. You know, the essential first.

"The husband" is very busy re-doing the electrical system again because he swears it was not up to scratch (to his very high standards) and that it was actually dangerous. There was people living here so, I'm not sure about the dangerous bit, but I'm thankful and appreciate a lot the meticulous and careful way he has with electric stuff. it may take weeks, but when he's done, it'll be just perfect.

We bough some paint during the weekend and at one point "the husband"'s debit card was rejected. It happened twice and then it happened with my card as well. It's quite mortifying and we got the look, you know, from cashiers. We're pretty sure there's money on the account, we double checked, so I went yesterday to the local branch to ask was wrong and to fix the problem.
It turned out that here in Spain you have a limited weekly amount that you can spend with your debit card and that the limit is pretty low (just 300 euros, around £200). Of course, nobody told us that and it seems to be one of the things that everybody already know. Except foreigners of course and maybe because we speek the language and don't look any diferent, people just asume that we're in the know of things. We're so not!
Luckily it was just a simple thing to change the amount we're actually allowed to spend.

Another thing is that I went to pay the phone bill and the cashier looked at me as if I was somehow confused and told me that, of course, that particular bill is only payable on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I askeed why and she just shruged and told me that this was always done like so it must be the best way.
Can you thing of a single logical or practical reason? I can't.

I do miss the logical and practical customer services and rules of banking in England.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Claudia - Ale just sent this link to your site - i love it!
Anja