13 December, 2006

Final class

Today it was the last class for my groups of 12 absolute beginners EFL (English as a foreign language) students. And as as a farewell gift they gave a big poinsettia plant in a pot (pictured here). Here in Barcelona, Poinsettias are a big part of the traditions for Christmas and it was lovely of them to give me one as a gift.
Even though is a transport company and this is the more busy time of their working year and they were truly busy, they all managed to attend the final class.
They told me that the plant was a token of their appreciation for the classes and that they enjoyed them, had fun, and more importantly, they felt as they learned a lot (poor innocent souls).
I didn't expect a farewell present at all and it was a lovely surprise to know that they appreciate the classes and all. It was very sweet of them.
They gave me the flowers and then I had to kiss all 12 of them in the manner used here, with 4 kisses.

I prepared the final class very carefully so we reviewed all what they learnt in the past few months. It was a intensive course and the company paying for it has very high expectations. The plan of the course was to pack up a whole normal year of tuition in 3 months and that's a lot to learn (and a lot to teach). After the final class they went and had a test and they were expected to achieve an intermediate level, at least in spoken English.
Is not an exaggeration to say that I was more nervous about the test that they were, after all I felt as it was my skills as a teacher what was being tested.
And they all (but one) passed!! I'm so proud of them. And I'm so proud of myself!!! (if i can write that at all!). This was my very first experience teaching EFL and it worked as a charm.
I might be considering this as a career.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done brilliant girl x x

KlaudjaB said...

The most amazing thing is that they really learnt!!