12 December, 2006

Cleaning

The previous owner of the house were a youngish working couple with a toddler daughter and they had to move in a hurry to their new house so I totally understand that they didn't have much time for cleaning the flat but... seriously!... the place was in urgent need of the "how clean is your house" team. Kim and Aggie would have a field day if they could have seen the kitchen and the small toilet. They're seriously filthy.
(for my non-UK friends, click on the link in pink to see more about the TV show)

Today is my free day, free as in no paid work so, of course I worked a lot.
I spend the whole day today cleaning just the cupboards in the kitchen. They looked as if they've never been cleaned before, with all sort of yucky dried stuff and grime. Thank Goddess it wasn't smelly. Just plain dried grime and assorted rubbish bits, plenty of it to keep me busy for hours. Pity I didn't have fancy rubber gloves as Kim does. I didn't even have normal rubber gloves and I'm still trying to take all the grime out of my fingernails.

I spent a whole bottle of multi-purpose cleaning liquid, 1 roll of kitchen paper, 1 sponge and half a bottle of vinegar (I'm trying to be eco-friendly) and I ended up totally knackered, with back pain and arms pain too but the kitchen is now sparklingly clean.
I should have videotape the whole thing, or at least taking pictures of before and after but I didn't. Too busy to even think about it.

The good think is that at the end of the day I could go home and have a nice bath and cook a meal in a normal kitchen without ruining my day-work. It's really great to have two houses while moving. We didn't plan it that way but we should have.

No comments: