19 July, 2007

A very sad departure


In Argentina one of the most popular and talented artists died recently. His name is Roberto Fontanarrosa, and here you can see his portrait surrounded by a few of his many characters. he described our political reality and the Argentinean culture (if such thing does exist) as nobody else did, with amazing acuracy and great humour. He was also a gifted writer.

And he was one of my favourite living artist in the whole world.
I still keep a caricature he draw for my in one of his many books presentation. He dedicated it to me and signed it and it is one of the very few things that I always carry with me wherever I happens to live. I treasured it for years and I will for years to come.
I keep his books in my home waiting for my son to be a bit older so he can appreciate and understand his sense of humour and thus understand and appreciate his Argentinean inheritance. As he's doing now while he discover and enjoy another great artist: Quino.

Roberto Fontanarrosa touched people in many ways and he always managed to make me smile and sometimes even to laugh out loud with his cartoons. Now this news managed to make me feel very sad, as I lost somebody near to my heart.

Here it goes my humble homage to a great artist. We will miss you dearly, maestro.

No comments: