23 July, 2007

bleeping fiesta!

I never thought that I'd hate a fiesta! This is truly a first for me.
This weekend people in my neighbourhood had their annual fiesta. As I told you before, everybody and everything has a fiesta here in Spain. And far I thought that it was very nice to keep the tradition, great that the community joins together to celebrate that we're alive yet another year, very quaint to keep the tradition going and all that "foreign" crap.
Now, a party is all very nice if you can leave it and go home at any time you wish, but when they force you attend the party like it or not... well... not that nice.
Now I understand while local people just leave the town in certain dates in order to avoid a party. For instance, a few weeks ago the city of Pamplona in the north of Spain has its famous San Fermín's encierros when people dressed in white with a red faja run in front of the bulls throughout the city. This year was particularly infamous as some idiot run with his 10 years-old son. While that party sounds great fun with plenty of folkloric and religious meaning, the actual party meant hundreds of very drunk people running amok. Not much fun if you happens to live there and have to see your doorstep pissed and vomited every night for a whole weekend.

Well... people on my neighbourhood had their annual fiesta during the weekend and that meant that I couldn't watch TV or even sleep until late at night when they finished the noise. And the main party was around the corner from us!
Really it wasn't that bad, just really tacky and noisy, not elegant and folkloric. And the worst part was that I needed to go to work very early the next day so i really needed my sleep and didn't fancy listened to loud pop music from the 70's.
The weather was also didn't help me as it was a hot night, so if I closed my window that cancelled the noise but it was too hot to bear.

I think I start to think as a local! This has to be good! hasn't it?

No comments: