25 May, 2007

Pop concerts

I must have been 6 or 7 years old the first time I went to a pop music concert. It was in my home town in Argentina and my mum bought the tickets for herself and a friend but at the last minute something happened and they couldn't go, so she sent me with either my nanny or the maid, I'm not sure who I went with.
(It's not that we were very rich but that in poor countries is quite common for people to have nannies and maids. One is not particularly posh or rich, for instance one never had a butler).
Anyway, I do remember the experience quite vividly, the people, the buzz of expectation and, above all, that the singer/song writer was the most beautiful guy I've ever seen, the music was totally amazing and I was hooked forever. His name is Joan Manuel Serrat and up to this day he continues to write and sing song that never fail to move me or made me smile. It also happened that he's born and bread here in Barcelona and I always hoped that one day I'll have the chance to see him sing again here.
He's really big in the Spanish speaking world and everybody knows at least a few of his songs. The actress Penelope Cruz was named after one of his earlier songs "Penélope". And in my own family, on of my nieces was named Lucía after another song of his.

Now he's just announced that he's starting a new tour in Spain and some Latin American countries together with another singer/writer called Joaquín Sabina, whom we also like a lot. So as soon as I saw the news yesterday on tv I sent "the husband" to buy tickets online.
Everybody had the same idea and the site was almost collapsed by the volume of people trying to get tickets. In fact, the 2 shows schedule for October at the Palau San Jordi, a huge venue in Barcelona
are already sold out. Luckily for us there's also another couple of shows in Catalonia and we've got tickets for the concert at nearby Terraza.
I'm delighted!

Now I don't mind that much the fact that I couldn't find tickets to see The police when they'll be here. They were totally sold out in the first few hours. and I'd love to see them live, they were one of my favourite bands in their time and I stilll fancy Sting!!!

No comments: