12 May, 2007

Do not kiss mummy!

When do boys start thinking that kissing mummy is daft?
Well... for P. it started last Friday morning and it took me by surprise. In theory I knew that boys do this and i was sort of wondering when and if P. will do this. But, as it usually the case, it took me by surprise when it actually happened.
The morning started nicely and predictably enough as "the husband" woke P.'s up in the morning to take him to the meeting point for his rugby encounter in Valladolid. As soon as P' woke up he moved into my bed when I cuddle him a bit and the we all had breakfast and checked the bags and said all the things that parents say when their kid goes on a trip: do obey your coach, behave yourself, make sure to get a sweater, etc etc We even discussed it if it was a good idea to take his beloved Winnie-the-pooh with him now that he's 10 years-old and children can be cruel with some big guy still needing his Teddy to sleep. No way he was leaving Winnie behind. Fair enough.
Then we drove to the meeting point and as soon as we were out of the car he took his bag and went with the other kids without even looking at me again. I play cool and just talked with the other parents until they were all going into the bus. Then I really wanted to kiss P. goodbye but the I noticed that he wasn't just not looking at me, he was totally avoiding looking at me. Definitely not cool to kiss mummy goodbye.
I took the hint and just say "bye" and wave him out, very cool, even though my instinct and my contrary nature were screaming at me to go there and kiss my baby goodbye, smooth his hair and tell him to wear a sweater at nigh. You know, the usual mothering stuff.

As a mum I've always thought that I've known more or less what to expect but he always surprise me.
Now, he's gone all teenager on me!! My baby is definitely growing up.

I just hope he'll have a great time in Valladolid and I do hope that when he's back he'd still kiss me goodnight every single night!! (at least until he leaves home for college!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetheart of course he will only not in public. When others are around he is a man at home for a while at least he will still be your little boy. Don't worry though after a few years he will be back to kissing you any time after all my two do love Glynis x x x x x x

KlaudjaB said...

I loved it when your grown ups boy were visiting you in the library and they both kissed and hug you!
Why do they have to go through this silly face!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.