06 August, 2006

Two nations separated by the same language

The first thing I though I had it sussed was the language.
I told everyone who´d care to listen that whatever different and new Cataluyna is, at least I speak the language and that was enough to make my life easier.

Well... I discovered soon enough that I don't.
I do speak Spanish, no problem with that; fair enough, it's a bit different and my accent is totaly Argentinean but that´s not a problem in a place where there's loads of Argentineans (and aparently the Catalans thinks that we have a lovely accent. Go figure!) . But I really though that because I could read Catalan, I 'd be able to understand it. HA!
The reality is that, yes, I can read and understand written Catalan but I cannot understand a word of it when is spoken. Not to people on the street, not the TV, and even less in the radio. Not a sausage. None. Nada.

No comments: