12 January, 2008

bad bug and bad specsavers!!

After the poor Japanese family, on Wednesday it was my son's turn to get the bug and he has a bit of temperature and diarrhoea.
P's such a healthy boy that when he woke up in the middle of the night with a "bad feeling here, a sort of pressure from the inside" as he put it, he didn't even know that it was nausea. So he just sat there for a while when I was half awake and trying to figure out what was going on. Then he just proceeded to vomit half of the dinner on my bed.

So we have to change the bed covers, give some comfort and paracetamol to a sick child and try to get everybody sleeping as soon as possible as it was the middle of the week and everybody had things to do.

The next day P stayed at home as he was still feeling poorly and had some fever and i don't want him to be at school feeling terribly and passing along the bug.

I went to work on Thursday feeling very sleepy. Luckily, as this is the first week after the Christmas holidays for most of my students they were as sleepy as me and I hope that nobody noticed that I actually had different colours socks!!

And today, Friday, it was my turn and I had a stomach ache all day long and finally diarrhoea. Luckily none of my classes today was longer than one hour so I managed to rush to the toilet between them.
Of course I couldn't stop after work as I had to take P to the optician as his teacher reported to us that his sight is getting worse and he's not able to see the board from his seat at the back of the class.
I was a bit surprised because P go glasses in Bristol and he never used them much. Anyway, I though that because he's young it was perfectly possible that his eyesight is worse now.

After a very thorough examination, the local optician told me that there's a discrepancy between her results and P's old glasses. Apparently the glasses have 0.5 myopia in the right eye and 1 astigmatism but according to her result the inverse is actually the case. So she said that is very unusual that this will reverse in such a way, possible but extremely unusual. So she suspected that when they made P's glasses somebody along the line confused the eyes and gave him the wrong correction.
Luckily he never felt the glasses were making much of a difference and we never insisted for him to use them so not real harm was done!!
That's really add another meaning to the add: "we should have gone to specsavers" as we did got them there.
At the end we're going to use the same frame as P loves them and have the glasses replaced, something that we thought it was going to be needed anyway. So, now we're €75 the poorer and the glasses are going to be ready by Tuesday.

No comments: